We have been discussing how companies use conditioning to manipulate our behaviour, in order to make us (the consumer) buy their product.
What techniques have we discussed that advertizers use to manipulate our behaviour?
Today, you will analyze a commercial that does this:
You will use the following sources to compete the task:
- The ‘sheep effect’: Here is the missing video on The elevator test – conformity
- Marketing Psychology
- Manipulating Behaviour in Advertizing
- Psychological Tactics of Marketers
- Manipulation in Advertizing
- How colours affect purchases
For Psychological studies, use
Here is your task
- Identify and analyse the techniques the marketeers are using in their commercial adverts. With reference to one or more commercials you will identify some of the the techniques used to make us buy.
- For each technique, you will evaluate its effectiveness. You must use sources to support your argument, not your personal opinion. Find a study that has proven this theory.
- The study might not be directly related to your topic or use the same terminology as the sources abve. You need to refine your searches to find the proper study
- Name each study by the lead researcher(s) last name(s) and mention the university where it was conducted at leats once.
- You can do this on a google doc with hyperlinks or as a voice over video (4 minutes max)
- Groups of 2
- Please link your work here
Your work must include:
- The clip or clips from a commercial ( any language ) as long as clip is either in English or another language
- Identify the target audience and demographic – who is the commercial aimed at
- Annotations or notes clearly explaining the technique (tricks) used in the commercials
- An explanation of the reasons for using each technique
- Your evaluation as to why you think it is effective or not, what makes it a good advert
Due beginning of lesson –
- 9A: Thursday 10th November.
- 9C: Friday November 11th