Introduction to Memory and Research Methods for Psychology.
What is memory? How do we remember things? Why do we forget things?
1: Let’s play a game:
Understanding short term memory through a letter recall activity
- Compare your correct answer % with your group. Are the patterns the same?
- What factors affected your memory recall?
- What technique did you use to remember the letters?
- How could you remember these letter if you had more time?
- What variations could have helped/hindered your memory?
- Did you put wrong answers? What does that say about your actual memories?
- Have you had memories that turned out to be false?
Here are a few other ones if you want to try some more on your own.
2: Looking at Elizabeth Loftus’ Ted Talk
- What does she say about false memory?
- Eyewitness testimony?
- Misleading questions?
- How can we control what people “remember”?
- What ethical issues are raised by the false memory debate?
How does Memory work?
Homework: Read How Does Memory Work
- Give the definition, in your own words, of 5 words vocabulary terms you did not know in the reading
- Write a one paragraph description of the reading using all 5 words
- Post your answer on your blog and hyperlink it here
- Due next class: Monday Nov 14