We will start the unit in January, but here are a few concepts we need to understand to discuss the issues related to development:
Types of Government:
- What do we mean when we call people and their ideas right or left wing?
- What is the difference between socialism and communism?
- What are possible drawbacks to the various government systems we have discussed?
In groups, fill in the boxes below. You may use wikipedia.com
|Definition||Name a specific present example|
In groups, you will pick on form of government listed and create a 30 second ad, trying to sell your form of government as THE BEST for the people.
1. In groups of 2 or 3, research one of the government systems you have defined in question 1. (If possible, no 2 groups should research the same system.)
2. Create a 30 second, single shot TV advertisement showing your findings and persuading your audience that your system is best for them. (Even if you personally disagree)
3. Write the script for your advertisement:
include all text
include all visual cues (this can be written or drawn as a storyboard)
4. Be creative. You may choose to be overly enthusiastic, even exaggerate some facts ( but don’t lie) to get your point across.
5. We will shoot the commercial and present next class.
Part 2: UTOPIA (if time)
Before moving on, let’s think of what we believe would be a “perfect” government, if there is such a thing.
- What is utopia?
- What specific characteristics would be necessary to create a perfect government? A perfect world?
Then, you will work on creating your own perfect government.
Here is a useful sparknote reading on Thomas More’s Utopia