The next unit will be about energy production, consumption and conservation.
- First, what is climate change?
- What are green house gases?
- What is the difference between climate change and the greenhouse effect?
In groups, answer the following questions. You will present your answers to the class.
- Draw a labeled diagram (poster) explaining the functioning of the greenhouse effect, including the amount of incoming solar radiation absorbed and reflected in/by the atmosphere, clouds, the earth, ice and the ocean
- Explain the main lines of the debate over the existence of climate change?
- List the main (most abundant) greenhouse gases, where they come from and list their different level of “global warming potential”
- What major human activities are the main causes of greenhouse gas increase? Explain each activity and the way it releases GHG
- Which nations are the biggest GHG producers? Give a list of each nations and their main source of GHG production.
- What does the WWF say about how you could become more energy efficient? Research a few other new technologies that can reduce domestic carbon footprint.
- List the possible consequences of global temperature change in terms of:
- Water resources
- Forestry and ecosystems
- Human Health
- Extreme weather events.
If time, discuss the relationaship with GCC and the resource consumption game we played last class.