We will begin a unit on development and disparity. Our statement of inquiry will be:
Disparities exist within and between countries but strategies can be used to improve standard of living
- What does this statement mean to you?
- What topics do you think we will cover in this unit?
- What would you like to learn about these issues?
- Think of the vocabulary terms you have learned in your previous I&S classes, what words come to mind when discussion these issues?
First, we will play the Trading Game
- What have you learned from the game?
- What was fair/unfair?
- What can be done to make the game more equal?
- What real world situations affect the equity of trade between countries?
- How could we achieve fair trade?
- How would you define poverty in terms of the game?
Review from gr. 8 I&S:
- What is meant by development?
- How do we measure development?
- What trends have been observed in countries during different levels of development?
- What is meant by disparity?
- How would you define poverty in terms of development?
Let’s look at a new way of defining poverty?
In your groups, discuss Mr Rosling’s views on defining poverty.
- Write down the dimensions of development. Identify which ones you think are means, and which are goals? Rank them according to how important you think they are.
- How do your ideas differ from Mr Rosling?
- Do you agree with him that culture is and should be the ultimate goal of any society?
- Do you believe all societies in the world, including your own, can achieve their goals? What may be some obstacles they face? Explain.
Summative assessment: Methods of reducing disparity.
Here is your assessment and TSC
Hyperlink your presentation and factsheet here