We will be looking at trends, benefits and drawbacks in tourism today.
In your groups, answer the following questions;
- Why do people travel? List at least 5 reasons.
- What advantages does travel offer for tourists?
- What advantages does tourism have for the host country or region?
- What disadvantages does tourism have for the host country or region?
Download the UNWTO Tourism Highlights 2015 and answer the following questions:
- What were the top three countries in terms in international arrivals in 2014
- What were the top three countries in terms of international receipts in 2014?
- Explain the difference in patterns depicted by your answers of question 1 and 2.
- Describe the recent trends of tourism in Africa.
- Describe the changes in international tourist arrivals between 1950 and 2010. (p.14)
- In your opinion, why has tourism increased since the 1950s?
Hyperlink your answers here
Let’s discuss our answers as a group and try to understand the patterns we have found.
Exercise 2 : Presentations
In groups of 3 you will research one specific tourist destination that you have all visited and explain the impacts of tourism on the area.
- Include specific examples, statistics, pictures etc. of:
- A description of the main physical and human attractions at the location
- The benefits of tourism on the location
- The negative impacts of tourism on the location
- One management strategies put in place by local people or government to limit the negative impacts of tourism
- A National Park
- A coastal resort
- A ski resort
- A famous tourist destination in an LEDC (specific attraction, village, town etc)
- A famous tourist destination in an MEDC
You will present next class