- What are phobias?
- What causes phobias?
- How are they treated?
- Are they more nature or nurture?
- What is the difference between fear and phobia?
Exercise 1: Read the handout
In groups, explain the following ways of measuring abnormality:
- Statistical infrequency
- Deviation from social norms
- Failure to function adequately
- Deviation from ideal mental health
Exercise 2: Models of abnormality
Model: A set of assumptions or concepts that help psychologists and/or scientists explain and interpret observations
- Spells out basic assumptions and sets guidelines for investigation and treatment
- Some may conflict with each other or be better suited for certain conditions
In groups, explain the following models of abnormality, as well as their ethical and practical implications.
Do some research of an actual case study where your model has been used, and explain it to the class, using the model to structure your explanation.
- Medical model
- Psychoanalytic approach
- Behavioral approach
- Cognitive Approach
- Humanistic approach
Friday afternoon movies: Crash Course Psychology