- What are phobias?
- What causes phobias?
- How are they treated?
- Are they more nature or nurture?
- What is the difference between fear and phobia?
- What would you consider abnormal human behavior?
- How can we measure such behavior?
- Read the handout p.161 (read the rest for homework)
- In groups, explain the following ways of measuring abnormality, using specific examples:
- Statistical infrequency
- Deviation from social norms
- Failure to function adequately
- Deviation from ideal mental health
Let’s Kahoot it up!
Exercise 2: Models of abnormality
Model: A set of assumptions or concepts that help psychologists and/or scientists explain and interpret observations
- Spells out basic assumptions and sets guidelines for investigation and treatment
- Some may conflict with each other or be better suited for certain conditions
In groups, use the handout to explain the following models of abnormality, as well as their ethical and practical implications.
Do some research of an actual case study where your model has been used, and explain it to the class, using the model to structure your explanation.
- Medical model
- Psychoanalytic approach
- Behavioral approach
- Cognitive Approach
- Humanistic approach
Exercise 3: Bias in Psychological studies
We will look at the Li-Repac Study (1980)