For our first unit, we’ll be looking at the role World Religions have played in development of culture and human history.
The statement of inquiry will be :
Religions are belief systems that shape our cultures and perspectives
What are the major belief systems?
hat do you know about the?
How do they affect the world? ,
What are the similarities and differences between major world religions?
- What do you find interesting about this unit?
- What worries you about this unit?
- What will you need to know in order to answer the unit question?
- What is your stance/opinion on the statement of inquiry?
- What question do you have about the statement of inquiry
Warm up: Make a list of ten things that you believe in a blogpost. Make a list, starting with the sentence: “I believe…” Once completed share one or more of your beliefs with your group, and explain why you believe this.
Hyperlink your answers here and have a discussion with a partner about your beliefs. Are there similarities? Differences? How do you explain the differences?
What is religion? Watch the following BrainPop video and write a definition for religion (in your own words) in your table groups.
Religion as a system. Revise the key concept of systems by reading this. Then, create a diagram (hand drawn or digital) showing how religion can be connected with various parts of human society. You might like to consider the following aspects. How are these things related?
- Social aspects (how we act and relate to one another)
- Cultural aspects (cultural practices such as dance, food, music, art)
- Political aspects (how we govern ourselves and choose our leaders)
- Economic aspects (money and resources)
- Legal aspects (laws)