The next unit will be about energy production, consumption and conservation.
- First, what is climate change?
- What are green house gases? Where do they come from?
- What is the difference between climate change and the greenhouse effect?
- What are the consequences of climate change on people and nature?
- What strategies are used to reduce climate change and its impacts?
In groups, you will answer one of the following questions and present your answers to the class. Use visuals as much as possible.
- Create a labeled diagram (poster) explaining the functioning of the greenhouse effect, including the amount of incoming solar radiation absorbed and reflected in/by the atmosphere, clouds, the earth, ice and the ocean
- Explain the main lines of the debate over the existence of climate change? Show both sides of the issue, and evaluate their validity.
- List the main (most abundant) greenhouse gases, where they come from and list their different level of “global warming potential”
- What major human activities are the main causes of greenhouse gas increase? Explain each activity and the way it releases GHG
- Which nations are the biggest GHG producers? Give a list of each nations and their main source of GHG production.
- What does the WWF say about how you could become more energy efficient? Research a few other new technologies that can reduce domestic carbon footprint.
- List the possible consequences of global temperature change in terms of:
- Water resources
- Forestry and ecosystems
- Human Health
- Extreme weather events.
Include you slides on this presentation: 9C
Post presentation discussions:
- Is there a controversy over wether GCC is man-made? What is debatable?
- Thinking back to the resource game, if each time you created a shape, a negative externality would occur to yourself or another country, what would be the long term consequence? What would be a solution?
- Who is responsible for limiting GCC?
- What are some solutions to GCC? How realistic are they?
- Will it be necessary to think “outside the box”?
- What will it take to stop/limit/control GCC?