We have been discussing the definition of globalization and it’s impacts on places and people.
Let’s discuss how globalization affects us: PPT
What topics came back in your discussions?
Were there some disagreements?
- What is culture?
- What is your culture?
- What are the main components of culture?
“Culture can be defined as the total of the inherited ideas, beliefs, values and knowledge which constitute the shared basis for social action” (Paul Guinness, 2011)
It is the way of life of a certain group of people, it makes sense of the world. It can determine people’s attitudes towards issues and give them a sense of identity. The natural environment has an impact of people’s lifestyle and it turn culture. Cultural differences can create conflict. The source of a cultural trait is called a cultural hearth.
Kwast Model of culture:
Cultural traits can include:
But as we have seen, globalization results in a mixing of culture.
In your groups, discuss: Have a consensus, one sentence answer for each question.
- How has globalization shaped the perspective of your identity?
- How are TCKs better prepared for today’s world?
- How can this be seen as a problem?
- Should all countries/people/culture globalize?
- Would some people choose not to be a part of the globalized world? Give an example
The Kayapo indians of Brazil are a Native tribe that occupy a vast area of the Amazon rainforest. They have made contacts with the globalized world but are fighting to defend their culture and remain “unconnected”.
- There are about around 100 uncontacted tribes in the world today.
- There are 27 confirmed uncontacted groups of the Amazon –maybe up to 70
- Around 15 in Peru
- IN S. America alone, the uncontacted population is around 5 000 to 10 000 people – impossible to be exact
- One of the Kayapo chiefs, Pukatire said: “The only things we need from the white culture are flip-flops, flashlights, and glasses” Discuss this statement
- Should the Kayapo be protected from Globalization?
- What are the risk fro them? For the world?
Discuss with your table group:
- Can you think of other examples of cultural traits that should be protected from westernization?
- What is the importance of language?
- What risks come from a language dying?
- What are the benefits of fewer languages?