What is micro financing?
How effective you think it is to reduce disparity?
What are some possible drawbacks?
Let’s have a look at the cycle of poverty. Using the handout, try to explain the links between each box and the cycle that occurs.
Things to Consider:
In an intense voice:
If Hollywood stars are more your thing:
Perhaps the circular economy could be your solution:
Here is our next summative assessment: Government Report focusing on Strategies to Encourage Development
- Groups of 2
- Your role is that of a development advisor (not economic)
- Your audience will be the federal or regional government of your Kiva recipient
- Your task is to decide which development strategy or strategies are most appropriate to improve the standard of living of a your Kiva recipient’s community
- Your situation will be that of an individual or group profile from the Kiva website – Anyone you feel you would like to help. You can browse Kiva by country, gender, economic sector, etc.
- Links to some useful resources
- Links to your group’s factsheets
- Here are some previous student’s factsheet on strategies in reducing disparity.
Your product will be:
- Preliminary Research:
Once you find your person or group, take a screenshot of their profile and save their page, and do some further research on the country or region they come from:
- find information about their level of development and standard of living ( HDI- Fertility rate, GNP, disease etc )
- Issues in their area or country ( government stability, economy, debt, war etc ) which might affect their level of development.
- Main economic activities and growth rate
- Climate, resources and physical nature of the country
- Any other information that will help you with your decision
- You will create a 1 page document and 3 minute presentation recommending strategies that will help improve the standard of living and break the cycle of poverty of the community represented by an individual
- You need to suggest the strategies we have discussed in class: AID, FDI, Fair Trade, Debt Relief, Market and Trade Access, Government policy, Remittances, circular economy, SDGs as well as micro-financing through Kiva. If you find any other strategy make sure to ask your teacher first. BE CREATIVE
- You also need to clearly explain how your ideas will break the cycle of poverty of your recipient’s community
- All of your decisions must be supported with statistical and anecdotal evidence.