Guest Speaker – d’Arcy Lunn
YOU’RE NOT STUCK IN TRAFFIC – YOU ARE THE TRAFFIC
On Monday morning this week, we had guest speaker d’Arcy Lunn present about Teaspoons of Change and taking action (connected to their issues for the PYP Exhibition).
Some students were fortunate enough to speak with him in small groups to connect to their inquiries and to gain insight and ideas about purposeful and achievable action.
Some of the questions he presented included:
What is a global citizen? – Someone that makes a difference, someone who is responsible for their actions
Are you a global citizen? – Who I am – what I feel see think and do! The way I think. The actions I take
Can everyone be a global citizen? What can I do as a global citizen?
- Create action for our community
- Take small actions to achieve big goals
- Listen and learn
- Good people with good ideas doing good things
- Be a bridge – share with other and connect them to it
What are the things we can do to be a good global citizen?
- Use what you like (connected to) to take action
- Create ideas for other people
- Start with yourself and your family
- Make an impact on the local community
- Don’t only think up idea but put them into action to achieve change
What else can we do? The many little things we do allow are teaspoons or change that are easy to do more often such as turning off lights, not just recycling but reducing and reusing, creating a sharing economy e.g. toy libraries, book swaps, carrying your own chopsticks and plastic bags. Simple and easy but effective!
How we are connected to other things? If we are doing good things for the environment we impact in people
How do we create big change?
Are you (and your action) help heavy and harm light?
WHOLE GRADE CENTRAL IDEA
Earlier in the unit, we developed central ideas related to our inquiry choices in small groups.
This week Ms. Catasti came to help us to co-create a central idea for the whole grade.
The process we used:
Step 1 – Individual classes developed ideas for a central idea
Step 2 – As we read them aloud we listening for key words –
- 5H – impact, action, community – local/global
- 5W – change, difference, the world
- 5S – future, sustainable, together
Step 3 – Do these words stand out on their own and make sense? How and why is each word important to our message? Some of the keywords might not fit anymore!
Step 4 – Can we remove any of the keywords? This was interesting as some kids were passionate about certain words. They started to consider the understanding of the audience.
Step 5 – If we all our ideas together, what would the CI look like.
Step 6 – Students make suggestions for CI based on keywords.
A central idea is a message that’s really important to human beings – everyone should be able to access it regardless of culture, gender, age etc
It’s not about getting as many words in as possible…
It is about how these words are important and why we need to tell them to people!
- Together we can make a sustainable impact on our community, locally and globally.
- Responsible action makes a change to our community
- Individually we can make a small difference, but together we can make a big difference and impact people’s lives
- People work together to build a sustainable future for our community
- Together our responsible actions have a big impact on the local and global community
- Community’s action can change the future together responsibly
- Making an impact on the local and global community can change people’s lives and make a sustainable future
- Together as a community we can take action and change our ways in order to create a sustainable future
AND THE FINAL OUTCOME… well, you might just have to wait for the night!