As we are off school today – Mon Oct 6th please continue working on the write up for your beach study – PART 2 – graphing results, analysis, conclusion and evaluation
You will graph your data in order to analyse your findings
* Note – Graphs can be computer generated or done by hand and must titled, referred to and be integrated into the text, where you talk about them.
Write up your analysis under the headings of each Hypotheses. You will state what we expected with reference to our studies on coastal processes and landforms. You will analyse ( describe and explain ) the data you collected with regard to the expectations of a destructive beach, and state whether or not you have proved or disproved each Hypothesis.
1. The beach gradient is steeper towards the back of the beach
Create a beach profile by graphing the angle of slope from each quadrat of your transect and analyse this bearing in mind what we know about a destructive profile ( use class averages )
2. Beach material will be larger and more angular towards the back of the beach
Create 1 graph to illustrate your findings for type, roundness and size and analyse what you found. ( use class averages )
3. The waves will be high ( 1 metre or more ) and frequent ( more than 12 per minute )
Using a table to illustrate the data.
4. There will be a strong longshore drift
Analyse your findings referring to prevailing wind, direction of movement and time taken for any movement of material over 10m. If it is over 20m per minute then it is considered strong.
5. There is natural evidence (erosional landforms) and evidence of
6. Mitigation (man made defences) which illustrate that show the beach is being destroyed.
Using a field sketch and the observational notes you made as well as photographs present any evidence of the above. Use lots of photos and be creative here. Annotate your photographs to show what they illustrate.
Be as creative as you want when illustrating all of your work!
Sum up what you found. Are your hypotheses mainly proven or disproven? Based on the summary of your findings you will conclude and give your answer to the question
“ Is the beach at Kamakura Kokomae a destructive beach?”
Briefly evaluate the methods and suggest how the study might be improved or extended.
TSC for this A, C & D
Due 9th Oct - Stay safe and dry