Government Report focusing on Strategies to Encourage Development
Your Role is that of a development advisor to the government
Your Task is to decide which development strategy or strategies are most appropriate to improve the standard of living of a community represented by an individual
Choose an individual or group profile from the Kiva website – Anyone you feel you would like to help. You can browse Kiva by country, gender, economic sector, etc. Your homework for this weekend is simply to choose your individual or group by Wednesday’s lesson.
- Preliminary Research:
Once you find your person or group, take a screenshot of their profile and do some further research on the country or region they come from:
- find information about their level of development and standard of living ( HDI- Fertility rate, GNP, disease etc )
- Issues in their area or country ( government stability, economy, debt, war etc ) which might affect their level of development.
- Main economic activities and growth rate
- Climate, resources and physical nature of the country
- Any other information that will help you with your decision
You will create a 1 page report recommending strategies that will help improve the standard of living and break the cycle of poverty of the community represented by an individual
You need to suggest the strategies we have discussed in class: AID, FDI, Fair Trade, Debt Relief, Market and Trade Access, Government policy, Remittances, as well as micro-financing through Kiva. If you find any other solution make sure to ask your teacher first.
All of your decisions must be supported with statistical and anecdotal evidence.
The report should be a 1 page proposal.
Links to some useful resources if you are interested