Today we will start the new unit on Psychology , in particular focusing on behaviour. Introduction to abnormality.
- What are phobias?
- What causes phobias?
- How are they treated?
- Are they more nature or nurture?
- What is the difference between fear and phobia?
- What would you consider abnormal human behavior?
- How can we measure such behavior?
Exercise 1 :-
- Make sure read the handout on Abnormality.
- In groups, explain the following ways of measuring abnormality and their evaluation, using specific examples:
- Statistical infrequency
- Deviation from social norms
- Failure to function adequately
- Deviation from ideal mental health
Then go to Kahoot and play the ‘definitions of abnormality quiz’
Model: A set of assumptions or concepts that help psychologists and/or scientists explain and interpret observations
- Spells out basic assumptions and sets guidelines for investigation and treatment
- Some may conflict with each other or be better suited for certain conditions
In groups, use the handout to explain the following models of abnormality, as well as their ethical and practical implications.
Do some research of an actual case study where your model has been used, and explain it to the class, using the model to structure your explanation.
- Medical model
- Psychoanalytic approach
- Behavioral approach
- Cognitive Approach
- Humanistic approach