Please read over the A3 sheet given to you and answer the questions on both sides.
Here is our next summative assessment: Government Report focusing on Strategies to Encourage Development
Government Report focusing on Strategies to Encourage Development
Your Role is that of a development advisor to the government
Your Task is to decide which development strategy or strategies are most appropriate to improve the standard of living of a community represented by an individual
Choose an individual or group profile from the Kiva website – Anyone you feel you would like to help. You can browse Kiva by country, gender, economic sector, etc. Your homework for this weekend is simply to choose your individual or group by Wednesday’s lesson.
- Preliminary Research:
Once you find your person or group, take a screenshot of their profile and do some further research on the country or region they come from:
- find information about their level of development and standard of living ( HDI- Fertility rate, GNP, disease etc )
- Issues in their area or country ( government stability, economy, debt, war etc ) which might affect their level of development.
- Main economic activities and growth rate
- Climate, resources and physical nature of the country
- Any other information that will help you with your decision
You will create a 1 page report recommending strategies that will help improve the standard of living and break the cycle of poverty of the community represented by an individual
You need to suggest the strategies we have discussed in class: AID, FDI, Fair Trade, Debt Relief, Market and Trade Access, Government policy, Remittances, as well as micro-financing through Kiva. If you find any other solution make sure to ask your teacher first.
All of your decisions must be supported with statistical and anecdotal evidence.
The report should be a 1 page proposal.
Links to some useful resources if you are interested
We have looked at disparities between countries and some development to help reduce disparities and help communities and countries develop. Now we will look at Micro finance as a strategy see this doc
Please go to this doc and add the link to your presentation and information sheet.
We will begin a unit on development and disparity. Our statement of inquiry will be:
Disparities exist within and between countries but strategies can be used to improve standard of living
- What does this statement mean to you?
- What topics do you think we will cover in this unit?
- What would you like to learn about these issues?
- Think of the vocabulary terms you have learned in your previous I&S classes, what words come to mind when discussion these issues?
Last class, we played the Trading Game
- What have you learned from the game?
- What was fair/unfair?
- What can be done to make the game more equal?
- What real world situations affect the equity of trade between countries?
- How could we achieve fair trade?
- How would you define poverty in terms of the game?
Review from gr. 8 I&S:
- What is meant by development?
- How do we measure development?
- What trends have been observed in countries during different levels of development?
- What is meant by disparity?
- How would you define poverty in terms of development?
Let’s look at a new way of defining poverty?
Watch Hans Rosling’s New Insight on Poverty (15min)
In your groups, discuss Mr Rosling’s views on defining poverty.
- Write down the dimensions of development. Identify which ones you think are means, and which are goals? Rank them according to how important you think they are.
- How do your ideas differ from Mr Rosling?
- Do you agree with him that culture is and should be the ultimate goal of any society?
- Do you believe all societies in the world, including your own, can achieve their goals? What may be some obstacles they face? Explain.
Part 2: Results. Show the table of results (raw data). Graph your results, using an appropriate graph. Make sure it has a title, clear labels and axes.
Analysis This is where you describe and explain your results. You state what you found referring to your graphs and what your results mean in relation to your hypotheses. Relates your results to the results of the study you are replicating.
Conclusion and evaluationYou state your conclusion, and whether you have proved or disproved your hypotheses. Next evaluate the methods – suggest if any methods were not ideal and how you would improve this study if you were to do it again.Abstract is written when the write up is complete. It is a summary of the study and should include/ or state:- what you are studying, the aim or purpose of the experiment you are conducting, a brief description of the method, some details about the participants, where the research was conducted, and briefly state your results/conclusion. It should be no more than 300 words – TSC C&D
This abstract should be placed after the title page!! Due Dec 12th at the start of the lesson.
You are to start this for homework this weekend
Grade 9 Individuals and Societies – Psychology Experiment on Memory
The psychology experiment has 2 main objectives:
- To familiarise you with psychological research and methods
- To conduct an experiment required for psychological study where one independent
variable is manipulated (music ) and one dependent variable is measured (number of words remembered)
After conducting your experiment as a class you will collate all the data and then do your write up of the experiment individually along the following guidelines.
The Assignment:PLEASE PRINT DOUBLE SIDED!!!
Title Page- This is a front cover!! it includes the name of the experiment The Effect of Music on Memory entered and then in the lower left hand corner your name, your class and the date of submission on three separate lines
Introduction includes the subject you are investigating, details of the studies being
replicated and its findings, why you are doing the experiment, what the aim is,
and what your hypotheses are
Our first hypothesis is – ‘our ability to recall the words shown on the screen will be enhanced by silence’
Our second hypothesis is – ‘our ability to recall the words shown on the screen will be slightly diminished when listening to classical music’
Our third is – our ability to recall the words shown on the screen will be significantly diminished when listening to loud music’
Method is given to you but briefly state the design of the experiment, who the
participants are, how we decided on the method, what we would need, who would do what, the materials needed to conduct the experiment, and the step by step procedure to conduct the experiment referring to instructions in the appendix. Include a short justification for each part of your method. Basically you state what we did and why we did it like that!
Due 1st December end of lesson
Grade 9 Individuals and Societies – Psychology Experiment on Memory we are setting up an experiment to find out the effects of music on memory and will share ideas about how to conduct this, equipment, method etc.
Today we will start to look at what affects our memory.