Your homework for the weekend is to research articles, videos etc about the perceived benefits and disadvantages/drawbacks of the upcoming Tokyo Olympics 2020. Here is the link to your study guide to help you
Large sporting events
Major sporting events have always had their share of controversy
Watch these videos of some events, which have been very controversial
In groups, you will create a short presentation describing a controversy surrounding an upcoming major sporting event.
Create a 5 (max) minute PowerPoint presentation (10 slides max) describing:
- The reason your city wanted to host the event
- The benefits of hosting the event
- The drawbacks of hosting the event
- The main lines of the controversy
- The slides may not contain more than 5 words each. They should be used solely as visual aids and prompts, not essay pages.
- You may not read from a piece of paper or laptop either. All information must be in your own words.
- Be ready to answer questions from your peers.
Possible Topics :-
Any past Olympics or world cup.
Add your links to this doc
Please see this
Part 1 of the Kamakura project is to be completed by end of the lesson, Tuesday April 25th.
We will then move on to look at large sports events and focus o the Olympics Tokyo 2020.
We will complete part 2 of the Kamakura project after the exams.
By next lesson ( Tuesday 11th ), please make sure you have completed your map of Japan and map of Kamakura’s location, plus background information. This is to introduce your project. Also you should complete the prefecture map of Japan and the world we worked on today.
Please remember to bring back the signed permission letter for the trip next week.
Today I need you to look at the Kamakura project. Below is a section from the project, which you can make a start on whilst I am away. Please do your research, follow prompts below and write an introduction on Tourism in Kamakura plus create 2 maps.
- In this section you should include some information on tourism and History in Kamakura.
- You must not copy. This section should be no more than 150 words and they must be entirely your own words and your “voice”. Read a web page and then close it down while you write it up in a word document.
- You also need to describe the location of Kamakura. You should include a written description which includes the distance from Tokyo and compass directions.
- You should include 2 maps – a Japan map ( mark on main cities) and mark on Kamakura’s location and draw a local area map of Kamakura, If these are copied from the Internet they must be both referenced. They should be simple maps that only show us the information that we want. Maps should be annotated using the “draw” tools.
- Your maps must be titled, have a scale, north arrow and key. Keep them simple and look at the survey area map you can simplify this if you wish.
Please read over the A3 sheet given to you and answer the questions on both sides.
Here is our next summative assessment: Government Report focusing on Strategies to Encourage Development
Government Report focusing on Strategies to Encourage Development
Your Role is that of a development advisor to the government
Your Task is to decide which development strategy or strategies are most appropriate to improve the standard of living of a community represented by an individual
Choose an individual or group profile from the Kiva website – Anyone you feel you would like to help. You can browse Kiva by country, gender, economic sector, etc. Your homework for this weekend is simply to choose your individual or group by Wednesday’s lesson.
- Preliminary Research:
Once you find your person or group, take a screenshot of their profile and do some further research on the country or region they come from:
- find information about their level of development and standard of living ( HDI- Fertility rate, GNP, disease etc )
- Issues in their area or country ( government stability, economy, debt, war etc ) which might affect their level of development.
- Main economic activities and growth rate
- Climate, resources and physical nature of the country
- Any other information that will help you with your decision
You will create a 1 page report recommending strategies that will help improve the standard of living and break the cycle of poverty of the community represented by an individual
You need to suggest the strategies we have discussed in class: AID, FDI, Fair Trade, Debt Relief, Market and Trade Access, Government policy, Remittances, as well as micro-financing through Kiva. If you find any other solution make sure to ask your teacher first.
All of your decisions must be supported with statistical and anecdotal evidence.
The report should be a 1 page proposal.
Links to some useful resources if you are interested
We have looked at disparities between countries and some development to help reduce disparities and help communities and countries develop. Now we will look at Micro finance as a strategy see this doc
Please go to this doc and add the link to your presentation and information sheet.