This one pot soup is very nutritious, delicious and very simple to make!
For 3-4 servings
– 1 cup red lentils, well rinsed
– 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
– 2-3 cups water
– 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
– 1 onion, diced
– 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1/2 tablespoon whole cumin seeds, toasted
– 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
– 1 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
– Juice of one small lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
– 1-2 teaspoon salt
– Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
– Hot cooked rice for serving
1. Heat a 2-liter pot over high heat. Add the oil and heat for a few seconds. Add the onion and cook stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Lower the heat and continue cooking for another 10 to 15 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
2. Add the garlic and continue cooking for a few minutes. Add lentils and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and the salt and continue cooking until the potatoes are soft.
3. Add the cumin seeds, ground cumin, ground coriander (if using) and lemon juice. Correct the taste. Add cayenne pepper, if using.
4. Pour some of the soup in a blender and puree. Add the puree to the rest of the soup to thicken and serve over hot rice.