Shared by the Family of Monica Perezagua Sanchez-Beato (Class of 2017)
Ingredients (4 servings):
– 1 kg ripe tomatoes
– 70 g cucumber
– 75 g red pepper
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 70 g extra virgin olive oil
– 30 g bread
– 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
– 120 ml water
1. Peel and cut garlic cloves in half. Remove the green shoot inside.
2. Fill a small saucepan with cold water and add the garlic. Bring the water to a boil. When the water begins to boil take the garlic out and put into a bowl of ice water to quickly cool.
3. Repeat this twice, always starting with cold water in the saucepan.
4. Peel the onion and cut in half, then cut into large chunks.
5. Peel the cucumber and cut in large pieces.
6. Halve the red peppers, remove seeds and white membranes. Chop and set aside along with the cucumber and onion.
7. Cut the tomatoes into large pieces and put in a bowl with the onions, cucumbers, cumin and peppers.
8. Add the bread in pieces, then pour over the water. Process everything together using a hand-held blender.
9. Strain the gazpacho through a fine-mesh strainer. Add the oil, vinegar, and mayonnaise and blend the soup until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Chill in the fridge before serving (at least 2 hours). Serve in soup bowls with croutons, plus an extra drizzle of olive oil.