Shared by the Family of Gethin Davies (Class of 2017)
Ingredients (Serves 2-3):
– 2 steaks or chicken breasts
– 1 onion
– 1 bell pepper
– 4 mushrooms
– 1 teaspoon of cooking oil for frying
– shop bought flour tortillas
– 1 tablespoon of cajun spice
– juice of 1 lime or lemon
1. Cut the chicken or steak into bite-sized pieces.
2. Cut the pepper and onion into similar sized slices.
3. Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan.
5. Add the meat (either chicken or steak) and brown for about 10 minutes.
6. Add the peppers, onions and mushrooms continue stirring until well mixed.
7. Add the cajun spice and stir well.
8. Add 100 ml of water and simmer for another 10-15 min stirring occasionally.
9. Add the lemon or lime juice and cook for another few minutes.
10. Heat the flour tortillas as per packet instructions.
11. Before serving check the meat is cooked through (as cooking time varies dependent on size of pieces).
12. Serve with salsa, sour cream and grated cheese.
Shared by Damien Pitter
#1: Seasoning Salt, Black Pepper and Garlic. You can cook just about anything with these three spices and have it taste great. Chicken and pork are great. Even something like a salmon steak can be grilled with these spices and it will be yummy. Sometimes, (especially with the salmon), using an olive oil base with a bit of lemon juice helps as a medium to spread the flavor of the spice combination.
#2: My Grandfather was Chinese, and he was an amazing cook. My mother passed this on to me. Soya sauce, Hoisin Sauce, and Oyster sauce (usually oyster flavored sauce). They are usually in the same section of the grocery store and are pretty common. Hoisin sauce is essentially Chinese barbecue sauce and you can use it on its own or in combination with the other sauces. Oyster sauce is very strong stuff, so only use a little. My Grandfather used to like to put a few drops on his fried eggs. Basically, you need to know that Soya sauce is kind of salty, Hoisin sauce is kind of sweet. Oyster sauce is just oyster sauce, but by changing the proportions of the three you mix together, you get different flavors. A LOT of Chinese food recipes use these sauces in different proportions. Experiment and see what you like. They are all pretty yummy, so it’s hard to go wrong. Garlic and ginger go really well with these, and also a pinch of sugar.
Shared by Damien Pitter
Okay, so I didn’t learn this anywhere – I just made it up. But it’s good. And you can eat it with rice, or in pitas or in tortillas. A good variation on this is to add lots of cheese and make it really gooey then put it in a pita. I digress.
1. Cut up a green pepper, a sweet red pepper and a yellow pepper.
2. Cut up 3 or so cloves of garlic.
3. Cut up some pork (again, I do this with the equivalent of 2 packages of milanesa)
4. Lightly dust the pork in corn-starch or flour.
5. In not quite a cup of water, dissolve 1 or 2 cubes of chicken boullion.
OPTIONAL Cut up some mushrooms too.
5. Heat oil in pan. When it is really liquidey, it’s hot.
6. Add the garlic and ginger. It’ll sizzle, and if you leave it longer than about 30s, it will burn.
7. Add the pork. Stir it to make it brown and not stuck together.
8. Lightly cover the pork in the pan with Seasoning Salt and Black Pepper. Mix that in.
9. Add the chicken stock (boullion) and mix.
10. Add the peppers (and mushrooms) and mix.
11. Turn the heat down to low and let cook until the peppers soften up a little. Keep stirring.
12. If you want the sauce to be thicker, add a bit of corn-starch or flour.