We did it! Thanks all of Genki’s hard work, we have now successfully switched to GMail!
Here’s the good news:
- All students from grade 4 – 12 have functioning e-mail accounts
- Formatting works – bold, italic, underline, pictures, etc (no more funky e-mails due to FirstClass re-routing)
- Tons more storage – 7GB and counting!
- Everything is in one place – calendars, shared documents, sites, etc
- Embedded chat – easy to pop questions to colleagues
- Embedded task manager – great “to do” list functions
- Fantastic searching through all your mails – use this great list of tips from Google to make the most of the powerful search
- Easy to customize your e-mail with labs features and tools (more and more features added every day)
- Priority Inbox – increase your productivity in one click!
And answers to a few frequently asked questions (FAQs) from Stephen:
Will my email start going in to Google immediately?
Some but not all emails will continue to be received in your First Class inbox for a few days.
Do I need to check my First Class account for emails?
If you have already been using Google for email – no. If you have only been using First Class – yes. There will be a few things for us to learn in Google such as how to find the shared files you access on First Class through the teachers lounge.
How do I change my password in Google Apps?
Use this simple help sheet, created by Aaron: How to Change Your Google Apps Password
How do I book a shared resource (a laptop cart, or a room) using shared calendars?
You can make reservations straight into most shared calendars. Follow the instructions on these handy video tutorials created by Aaron:
PART 1: Subscribing to a shared calendar
PART 2: How to make reservation on a shared calendar
You don’t have permission to make bookings on all shared calendars, because some calendars are controlled by specific people such as Akemi. For those calendars look online to see availability then go and see the person.
How do I access the bulletin board?
Another great tutorial from Aaron answers this one:
category: Google Apps