Well done MS Tutors! All tutor groups now have their own assessment calendar on Google Calendars, and they’ve been shared with all of the appropriate teachers.
Our goals for the calendars are:
- A quick overview of what major assignments students have at a glance.
- Collaboration between teachers when assigning major tasks. (Here’s how to add an event to a shared calendar)
- A tool that will allow students to take ownership of an organizational strategy (ie: reminders) – starting with subscribing to the teacher created calendars. (Here’s how to embed the calendar into your blog)
- A way for both students and parents to automate homework reminders through their mobile devices.
- A simple, but foundational tool for students to explore, so that they can grow into a tool that suits them best.
So, now that we have the actual calendars set up, the next step is to teach students (and parents) how to subscribe in their own Google Calendar (or iCal or whatever tool they use) so that they have all of their assignments in one place, plus all the automated reminders that comes with it (Student Tech Team is making a video now).
In addition to subscribing to the assessment calendars, students can also add their own assignments and reminders to their Google Calendar to have everything in one place – just like an adult would use a calendar. The parents in our Parent Tech Coffee morning have already seen how this can work.
Thanks for working together to make this happen! It will be great to see how students can build their own organizational skills using effective strategies thanks to this great foundation.
category: Google Apps